Friday 9 March 2012

7 tips for an effective press release

Press releases are windows to getting your story in the media. If your news is “newsworthy” and you are able to get it to the right media at right time, your news will get a decent coverage.

However, don’t consider sending press releases for trivial issues, it will hamper your credibility. Send press releases only when you have got something containing real news and important for the general public. While crafting a press release consider the steps below to make it effective.

1. Start with a bang
The headline should be interesting. Choose the right words that tell your story and keep in mind to keep the headline short and crisp. The first paragraph should tell the summary of your story. The following paragraphs can tell the details.

Remember to mention the 5Ws and 1H (what, why, where, when, who and how) of the story in the first paragraph, in short simple sentences.

Organise the information in an inverted pyramid form – with the most important information at the top. The reporters and editors generally lose interest in your press release after going though few paragraphs. So, if you put the major crucial content in the first few paragraphs, you will most probably get the bulk of your story in the next day’s publication.

2. Present the facts
Always tell the truth – never exaggerate your content. It might help you for the time being, but in the long run you will lose your credibility. If you have nothing exciting to share, don’t write a press release. Keep it aside till you have an interesting story.

3. Ensure your news is timely
Make sure that your press release is timely and has a good news hook. Tie your news to current events or social issues if possible.

4. Use active voice
Verbs in active voice make your press release lively. Rather than writing “entered into collaboration” use “collaborated”.

5. Avoid jargons and flowery language
Remember only you and your colleagues will understand the jargons within your organisation. Nobody outside your organisation will be interested or understand the jargons. Avoid the jargons. Also never use flowery languages and unnecessary adjectives.

6. Use quotes
Wherever possible, try to put quotes from concerned people to make your press release lively. Ensure that you have written permission before including information or quotes from the concerned people of other organisations.

7. About your organisation
At the end of the press release you must mention the name and full contact address of the person who is responsible for answering the queries related to the press release. Following it, as “Notes to the editor”, don’t forget to mention a paragraph about your organisation. If it is a joint press release, mention about both the organisations.

Besides the above points, on occasions, media outlets, especially online media, will pick up your press release and run it in their publications with little or no modification. Journalists, in most cases, will use your press release for a larger feature story. So, try to develop a story as you would like to have it told. Even if your news is not printed exactly as in the press release, a substantial amount of information will be picked up by the journalists.

23 comments:

  1. Рrеttу! Thiѕ has been a reallу
    wonderful post. Thank you for supplying this infοrmatіоn.
    Also see my page - captcha solver

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read so many posts on the topic of the blogger lovers except this post is really a nice paragraph, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good info. Lucky me I recently found your website by accident (stumbleupon).
    I've book-marked it for later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for a marvelous posting! I really enjoyed reading
    it, you might be a great author. I will be sure to bookmark your
    blog and may come back from now on. I want to encourage you
    continue your great job, have a nice afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the helpful information you provide in your articles.
    I will bookmark your blog and check again here regularly.
    I'm quite sure I'll learn many new stuff right here!
    Best of luck for the next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. bookmarked!!, I like your site!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, this was an incredibly nice post. Finding
    the time and actual effort to produce a really good article… but what
    can I say… I procrastinate a whole lot and never seem
    to get nearly anything done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When someone writes an piece of writing he/she retains the plan of a
    user in his/her mind that how a user can know it. Therefore that's why
    this article is outstdanding. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is definately a lot to find out about this topic.
    I really like all of the points you made.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its like you learn my thoughts! You appear to know so much about this, such as you wrote the
    guide in it or something. I think that you just could do with some percent to force the message home
    a little bit, but instead of that, this is excellent blog.
    A fantastic read. I'll definitely be back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's really very complicated in this busy life to listen news on TV, so I just use world wide web for that reason, and take
    the newest information.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello there, I found your site via Google whilst looking for a
    similar subject, your website got here up, it seems to be good.
    I've bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
    Hi there, simply was alert to your blog via Google, and located that it's really
    informative. I'm gonna be careful for brussels.
    I will be grateful should you proceed this in future.
    A lot of people will be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What's Happening i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It absolutely useful
    and it has aided me out loads. I hope to give a contribution & assist
    other users like its helped me. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the helpful info you supply to your articles. I'll bookmark your
    weblog and test again here regularly. I'm rather certain I will
    learn a lot of new stuff right here! Best of luck
    for the following!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! I'm at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone!

    Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all
    your posts! Carry on the fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is not my first time to pay a quick visit this site, i am browsing this web page dailly and
    take fastidious data from here daily.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm very happy to uncover this website. I want to to thank you for your time just
    for this fantastic read!! I definitely savored every part of it and i also
    have you saved as a favorite to look at new stuff on your site.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Superb blog you have here but I was wanting to know if you knew of any discussion boards that cover the same
    topics discussed in this article? I'd really love to be a
    part of community where I can get comments from other knowledgeable individuals that share the same interest.
    If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi there everyone, it's my first pay a quick visit at this web page,
    and post is really fruitful in support of me, keep up posting these content.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement
    account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable
    from you! By the way, how can we communicate?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi there! This post could not be written any better!
    Reading through this post reminds me of
    my old room mate! He always kept chatting about this.

    I will forward this write-up to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What's up, just wanted to say, I loved this article. It was inspiring.
    Keep on posting!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was curious if you ever considered changing the layout of
    your site? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.

    But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could
    connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or two images.
    Maybe you could space it out better?

    ReplyDelete